Thursday, August 14, 2008

Arrivare in Assisi!

After a very long but uneventful 34 hours from leaving home in Glenorie, we finally arrived at bellisimo Assisi. Pam joined Jan and me in a hot and steamy Dubai (Pam's glasses fogged up when she stepped off the plane). After a relatively short flight of 6 hours, we landed in Rome and were greeted at the airport by Wendy and Janelle who had spent 5 days being entranced by this ancient city.

We collected our cars and only made one wrong turn getting from Rome airport onto the ringroad autostrada to Firenze (Florence) - which we thought was pretty impressive compared to 2 years ago when we took a nasty detour into Rome before we found our way out an hour later. It took about 2 1/2 hours to get to Santa Maria delgi Angeli (St Mary of the Angels) which is 4km below Assisi. We stopped for some supplies at the supermercati and then wound our way up through Assisi and onto Eremo Paradiso, arriving about 7.30pm. It's as beautiful as we remembered.


Although 3 of us had had very little sleep in the past 2 days, the adrenaline kept us awake, and we managed to devour a delicious meal of meatballs, spaghetti and salad whipped up by Wendy, and washed down by 'Mr Grumpy's' red wine.
(Joan & Alan - Senore Grumpy got decidedly irritated with me when I couldn't work out that sette cinquanta meant 7.50 euro, so we've some work to do to find that friendly side you managed to extract!)

We spent the morning in Assisi. Jan and I loved showing the girls around and seeing their delight in the charm of this beautiful city. It was a quick introduction, as it was hot and we were all still pretty tired.

We picked up some pane (bread), porchetta (delicious roasted pork seasoned with herbs) and formaggio (cheese), returned to the house for lunch with wine and beer, and all are now resting, writing or reading - except for me who has worked out how to set up the laptop for the internet. This will make communication so easy!

Thanks to those who have posted comments already!
Ciao
Marg and Jan

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Me thinks I am still green. I worked from home today as I fell over on the way to work yesterday :-( must be old age I think. I am sitting here drinking a glass of red, wish I was there drinking red with you all. Oh well enough of my jealousy, I hope that you all continue to have fun, and that as more visitors come you keep on seeing lot and lots of new things. Love you lots and lots Sandra xxoo

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you got to Assisi without getting lost on the way. I am aslo glad it was just the same as we remembered it. Have fun guys
Peter and Ros

Joan said...

Hi Marg and Jan, Awesome that you have arrived and that all the planning has come to fruition. Excellent to know where you are - sigh......Keep working with Mr Grumpy (maybe he overheard his nickname???)or just go and order the polenta dish and that may make him friendly! Ciao, auf wiedersehen, hoscakal - much love J & A

Anonymous said...

Ciao Marg & Jan,
Glad you survived the long trip.
Siesta, mange and drink (don't know the Italian word) for us and send some summer our way.
Lots of love, prayers and slight envy - ooh one of the 7 deadlies!
XOXOX l&s

Sandra said...

What a jam packed week you have had. You have certainly packed in a lot of what look like really nice places, and managed a few glasses (or more) of nice Italian Red wine. Sounds like you are all having a ball together. Keep on having fun (and have some for me too), still feeling a tad green
:-( Loads and loads of luv and safety prayers. Sandra xxoo

About Jan and Marg